Rupert Hargreaves launched Global Plant Genetics Ltd with co-owner Jamie Petchell after 25 years building one of Europe’s most successful plant nursery and intellectual property businesses. Global Plant Genetics continues to supply plants but now affords the commercial focus to be adding value in the supply chain through Technical endeavours, Intellectual Property Management and Joint Venture businesses.
Background information on Rupert Hargreaves
1) Rupert is a highly efficient company Director who successfully developed a large International berry and asparagus nursery while adding a world renowned intellectual property division, tissue culture business and ornamental plant company to the portfolio. A strong and well trained teamed were built from board room down to drive this business forward.
2) Rupert has become a highly respected figure in the berry industry worldwide working with many international breeding programs, growers and marketing companies. The foresight to develop berry varietal and agronomy trials both in the UK and throughout the world proved invaluable to the rapid success of the company.
3) Having studied Horticulture at the University of Greenwich Rupert continued his quest for continued personal and professional development by completing all sectors of the Institute of Directors training courses at Loughborough Business School, Gateway to Global Growth at Cranfield Business School and numerous other advanced training and team building courses. He is a Liveryman of the The Worshipful Company of Fruiterers and a Freeman of The City of London.
4) Transforming his previous business from a family business to a larger corporation Rupert instigated growth at a rate of 10 times in 10 years. Having built a successful management team products were added to the portfolio and international market places exploited.
5) Rupert lives in West Norfolk on the coast where he enjoys spending quality time with his son Fred and walking his dog. He can often be found in a swimming pool and has a strong passion for horse racing which can take him anywhere from Newmarket to Dubai. He is a keen traveller, loves cooking and has an affection for quality wine and fine dining.
Jamie Petchell is co-owner of Global Plant Genetics Ltd. Having both been part of and on the board of a successful asparagus and berry business, Jamie is now focused on the Global Plant Genetics enterprise, recognised across the world. This was both in terms of plant supply and Intellectual Property management.
Paul Ward joined Global Plant Genetics Ltd as technical representative, having previously been a group technical director with a UK berry marketing company. He has gained over 30 years of experience in all technical aspects of a range of crops. These include UK vegetables, glasshouse salads, potatoes from Egypt, Spain and UK, tropical, stone fruit and cherries for Malet Azoulay / UnivegUK worldwide, before moving to berry crops. Motivation: Technical excellence, industry leading innovation and commercial awareness at all times.
The 5 important things you should know about Paul:
Claire Donkin joined Global Plant Genetics as a technical associate, following eight years of experience as an independent agronomy and technical service provider. During this time, she has worked from grower to board level and provided agronomic, post harvest and due diligence guidance over a wide range of speciality crops. These range from protected and open field herbs to stone fruit grown in technical complexity and customer delivery, directly serving several top tier British and European retailers.